Brain Injury & Spinal Cord Injury Treatment in Ludhiana, Punjab
What are the types of head injury?
Head injuries are classified into different types which are mentioned below:
|Concussion is the head injury which makes the person lose awareness right away for a few minutes for a few hours.|
|Skull fracture occurs when a skull bone breaks. These are referred to like 4 different types which include:
Intracranial hematoma (ICH)
|ICH or blood clots are of various types, which can occur around or in the brain. These can be mild to extremely severe. ICH are of different types which include:
What are the symptoms of a head injury?
Every individual experiences symptoms differently depending on their condition. Some of the common symptoms which a person might experience are:
For mild injury:
- Problems with balance
- Noise and light sensitivity
- Change in sleep patterns
- Blurred vision
- “Tired” eyes
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Alteration in taste
- Fatigue or lethargy
- Small and shallow cut in the scalp
- Lightheadedness or dizziness, or both
- Problems with memory and/or concentration
For moderate to a severe head injury (Need medical supervision right away)
- Loss of consciousness
- Severe headache that does not go away
- Repeated nausea and vomiting
- Loss of short-term memory
- Slurred speech
- Problem walking
- Weakness in one side or area of the body
- Pale skin color
- Seizures or convulsions
- Behavior changes including irritability
- Deep cut or laceration in the scalp
- Open wound in the head
- Foreign object penetrating the head
- Blood or clear fluid draining from the ears or nose
- One pupil is dilated (center of the eye gets dark), or looks larger as compared to others and doesn’t constrict, or get smaller, when exposed to light
- Coma ( a person cannot be awakened; response only minimally, if at all, but cannot perform voluntary activities)
- Vegetative state (a condition of brain damage and cannot think & be aware of the surroundings, but can breathe and have blood circulation)
- Locked-in syndrome (a person is conscious and can think & reason, but not able to move & speak)
What type of first aid should be given for head injury?
What if the injured person is conscious of head injury?
- Minimize the head/neck movement
- Control the blood loss from the head wound through dressing or applying pressure
- Try to keep calm
What if the injured person is unconscious?
- A person should not be moved unless the danger is more.
- Check the person breathing and airway, until the ambulance comes.
- If breathing is not normal, then carefully tilt their head back and support them.
How is brain injury diagnosed and treated?
When is brain surgery suggested?
In some cases of emergencies surgery is suggested for:
- Blood clot removal
- Repair of skull fractures
- Reduce pressure inside the skull
What are the signs and symptoms of spinal injury?
- The body lying in an awkward, unnatural position
- Skin feeling clammy and cool
- Inability to move limbs
- Tingling sensations in the limbs or no sensation at all, including pain
What measures should be taken for patients with Spinal Injury?
What are the ways to strengthen my spine?
- Practice deep breathing
- Keep your sitting posture right
- Make sure to wear properly fitted shoes
- Try to relax and limit the usage of smartphones/computers/or any other device.
- Make sure to stretch the back, even when you get up in the morning.
How to prevent brain and spine trauma?
Here are some of the practices which should be included to prevent the chances of spinal and head trauma are:
- Make sure to wear a helmet when you ride a bicycle, motorcycle, cycle, or play any kind of sport.
- Make sure to drive safely and do not go above the limit. Wear a seat belt while driving a car. You should not drink and drive.
- Dive into the water which is at least 9 feet deep.
- Make your place clutter-free.