Brain Injury & Spinal Cord Injury Treatment in Ludhiana, Punjab
Best Brain Injury & Spinal Cord Injury Treatment in Ludhiana, Punjab, Head and spine trauma/injuries affect the individual’s brain and spinal cord. A hard blow to the head can result in spinal cord and brain injury, even without any visible symptoms of trauma. No matter what type of head injury, these are considered emergencies and therefore you need to get yourself assessed by the best neurosurgeon in Ludhiana. These are also referred to as head and neck injury, brain and spine injury.
What are the types of head injury?
Head injuries are classified into different types which are mentioned below:
|Concussion is the head injury which makes the person lose awareness right away for a few minutes for a few hours.|
|Skull fracture occurs when a skull bone breaks. These are referred to like 4 different types which include:
Intracranial hematoma (ICH)
|ICH or blood clots are of various types, which can occur around or in the brain. These can be mild to extremely severe. ICH are of different types which include:
What are the symptoms of a head injury?
Every individual experiences symptoms differently depending on their condition. Some of the common symptoms which a person might experience are:
For mild injury:
- Problems with balance
- Noise and light sensitivity
- Change in sleep patterns
- Blurred vision
- “Tired” eyes
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Alteration in taste
- Fatigue or lethargy
- Small and shallow cut in the scalp
- Lightheadedness or dizziness, or both
- Problems with memory and/or concentration
For moderate to a severe head injury (Need medical supervision right away)
- Loss of consciousness
- Severe headache that does not go away
- Repeated nausea and vomiting
- Loss of short-term memory
- Slurred speech
- Problem walking
- Weakness in one side or area of the body
- Pale skin color
- Seizures or convulsions
- Behavior changes including irritability
- Deep cut or laceration in the scalp
- Open wound in the head
- Foreign object penetrating the head
- Blood or clear fluid draining from the ears or nose
- One pupil is dilated (center of the eye gets dark), or looks larger as compared to others and doesn’t constrict, or get smaller, when exposed to light
- Coma ( a person cannot be awakened; response only minimally, if at all, but cannot perform voluntary activities)
- Vegetative state (a condition of brain damage and cannot think & be aware of the surroundings, but can breathe and have blood circulation)
- Locked-in syndrome (a person is conscious and can think & reason, but not able to move & speak)
What type of first aid should be given for head injury?
If the condition is extremely severe or you can notice the symptoms which are mentioned above, then call the ambulance right away.
What if the injured person is conscious of head injury?
- Minimize the head/neck movement
- Control the blood loss from the head wound through dressing or applying pressure
- Try to keep calm
What if the injured person is unconscious?
- A person should not be moved unless the danger is more.
- Check the person breathing and airway, until the ambulance comes.
- If breathing is not normal, then carefully tilt their head back and support them.
How is brain injury diagnosed and treated?
Diagnosis of brain injury is diagnosed. By conducting a physical examination and different tests like MRI or CT scan. For concussion or mild TBI, the neurosurgeon will suggest taking proper rest. After checking your condition, you can go back to your home and continue doing the activities/exercise as suggested by the doctor. If the condition gets worse then you need to get specialized treatment. With the medications, the secondary damage is reduced to the brain.
When is brain surgery suggested?
In some cases of emergencies surgery is suggested for:
- Blood clot removal
- Repair of skull fractures
- Reduce pressure inside the skull
What are the signs and symptoms of spinal injury?
- The body lying in an awkward, unnatural position
- Skin feeling clammy and cool
- Inability to move limbs
- Tingling sensations in the limbs or no sensation at all, including pain
What measures should be taken for patients with Spinal Injury?
Sometimes head injury comes along with spinal injury. Elderly people face this situation more as compared to younger people. The injured person’s head needs to be lined with the neck. Make sure the head is not twisted, not rolled down to the side, keep a soft item around the neck to keep the head straight, and avoid any movement, till the time is not necessary.
What are the ways to strengthen my spine?
- Practice deep breathing
- Keep your sitting posture right
- Make sure to wear properly fitted shoes
- Try to relax and limit the usage of smartphones/computers/or any other device.
- Make sure to stretch the back, even when you get up in the morning.
How to prevent brain and spine trauma?
Here are some of the practices which should be included to prevent the chances of spinal and head trauma are:
- Make sure to wear a helmet when you ride a bicycle, motorcycle, cycle, or play any kind of sport.
- Make sure to drive safely and do not go above the limit. Wear a seat belt while driving a car. You should not drink and drive.
- Dive into the water which is at least 9 feet deep.
- Make your place clutter-free.
Get the treatment from the best
After the brain injury, the patients need to take rehabilitation, so that they can get their normal functioning back and get to a normal working routine. In the same way, physical therapy can be suggested to the patients to feel better and downtime will be less. Make sure that you take your condition seriously and seek medical assistance from the best medical expert right away. NeuroCiti Hospital provides the patients with the best care they deserve, depending on their condition.